Tuesday 14 April 2015 | By: Wabeywoo

"Running For Her Life"

Today I ran.

Ok, so it wasn't for long and it was with a minute and a half walking between 1 minute running intervals, but I ran.

I'm going to run on Thursday too, and Saturday. The next week it gets harder.

I've run before, a few years ago my husband, then fiancé, and I decided it would be a good idea. Except he was the one that kept time which meant I had to try and catch up. I don't do catching up. Not with legs as short as mine anyway.

We gave up, I think he carried on slightly longer than I did, I had come up with excuses, the pollen count was too high, I sustained an "injury" the last time we went out. I got to week two of a beginners 5k training programme.

The lure of writing has come back to me though. I couldn't tell you what the first thing was that made me want to so it, probably my fitbit, running means extra steps. Then I read Running Like A Girl by Alexandra Hemingsly which I enjoyed immensely and inspired me to investigate more. Basically the book follows her path of beginning running after committing herself to doing the London Marathon. I'm not quite aiming for the Marathon next year, but knowing someone can go from nothing to a Marathon in a year is pretty inspiring.

The 5k plan I followed before was the Beginners Guise on Running World. Perhaps designed for the slighly lighter and slightly more in shape runner than I. So this time I'm on the NHS Couch to 5K plan in hope that it works out better. It has been recommended to me by a few people, friends, my mother-in-law, even a colleague at work brought it up today. I think it's the right plan to go for, although once I hit 5k I'm going to have to look elsewhere!

So today was my first run, I don't think I was going fast but I did overtake some people walking, so there's that. The times when I wanted to stop were conveniently when the audio guide told me to stop and walk. I hope that continues, but I'm not going to put money on it. I was encouraged by a couple of the other girls doing running, one who was doing interval running too so presumably C25K or something similar. She was the same shape as me, big bum, big thighs, but she was going and had the confidence to keep going. So good for her. Maybe I'll catch her up some day.

There are a few things I realised I need as I was going around and will require some degree of saving and purchasing. Some things, a water bottle I can take running, a wristband for holding my Keyes, are inexpensive and I'll probably pick up in Sports Direct. The new trainers I undoubtedly need and proper running clothes, they will need to wait a little while longer. Saving for buying a house is slightly more important than wicking clothes or that £100 pair of Nikes that will suit my feet.

But why do I want to run? Part of it is for health, I want to live for as long as possible and to help that I need to lose weight and running is good for that. So there's that. It's also partly to do with mental health. I've had running recommended so many times on various websites in relation to depression and anxiety. You're forcing yourself outside and getting endorphins and all sorts going. It's pretty much recommended by everyone so I'm hoping it's going to make a difference.

I'm going to take this slow, start with getting to 5K, run that comfortably and maybe even do a charity race or two. Then work my way to 10k then dream about half marathons and full marathons.
I'm thinking of doing a separate blog for running, but I'm yet undecided.

Lets hope I survive Thursday's stint...

0 comments:

Post a Comment